Monday, September 13, 2010

today's video store moment

We've been watching more videos recently, my attempt at stress relief and something to entertain children. So we went to the video store today to switch out the old batch for a new pile. Ben was still in his jammies with crazy hair, Lizzie halfway hungry, Sarah is dressed (mismatched...dressed herself), and I thankfully got a shower. Simple errand right? So here we go: I pull up, answer a phone call, while on phone look for Curious George case, open all doors, Ben gets out and wanders around car, find case in a far corner of mini-van. Gather videos, keys, purse. Leave one door open, leave baby in car seat and walk to video store ten steps away. Drop videos all over floor, pick em up and put in slot. Sarah and Ben run in and out and drop fishy crackers on floor. Still on phone. Go back and get baby out of car seat, go into video store. Sarah wants water, Ben wants candy. Hang up phone. Give Sarah a dollar to buy water. I blink, Ben eats a Rolo. Ben gets a dollar to buy Rolo. drops slivers of foil wrappers all over floor. I pick up wrappers while holding purse, baby, wallet, phone, dollar, Rolos and wipes because baby spit up on herself and me. Ben takes the change, puts penny in mouth instead of candy. I put money in pocket. Sarah takes a quarter and sticks it in toy machine, wants me to turn it for her. She shoves the plastic bubble in my purse. I talk to a neighbor (who had a hard night), look for videos (Backyardigans, Care Bears, Bob the Builder). Is neighbor talking to me through video racks? I reply: oops she's on the phone with someone else. I eat most of melting Rolos. Lizzy grabs paper wrapper and shoves in mouth. I walk to other end of video store to look for more videos. Sarah yells for me. I come back. Ben wanders back to candy stand, unwraps and eats a banana dum-dum, drops wrapper on floor. I pick up. Sarah wants candy too cause Ben got some. I fish for credit card, check out and pay for videos, dum-dum, and Sarah's ring pop and somehow Ben got a Baby Bottle Pop too. Lizzy has melting chocolate on face, I use barfy wipe to clean off. Ben drops dum-dum on floor. I pick up.  Lizzy sees it in front of her and licks it. I throw away candy wrappers, banana dum-dum, barfy-chocolaty wipe. We get videos and leave. Pile in car.

Sarah convinces me to go to Arctic Circle for lunch. Then I won't have to make it right? All the high schoolers come streaming in just as we arrive. great. Ben SCREAMS and CRIES and YELLS the entire time, wants to be held, wants to see the tractor next door, won't eat anything, throws food all over the floor and fights Sarah for her lemonade. Lizzy crumples and licks a paper hamburger wrapper. We did NOT go back for courtesy cones.

When I get home I realize "The Secret of Pirate Island" didn't make it into its dvd case, which means I will drive down to the video store again today to return it before 7pm. I will not be bringing the kids. But such is a moment among many.

No comments:

Post a Comment